Quote of the day

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

Thursday, April 4, 2013

New Netflix Obsession!


I decided today to jump a bit out of order to post this fun and slightly random that I think you all will enjoy!

Ron and I have a subscription to this little thing called Netflix. You may have heard of it or maybe not, Hahaha!

Anyway if you know my dad, brothers, and myself you will know that we love history, documentaries, and things like that. Well recently Netflix has decided that they needed to add a documentary category to it's list and make my little documentary heart all giddy and jump up and down for joy (which I'm sure would just be considered beating but whatever, it's a happy heart!)

I've probably watched closed to 75 different ones so since I obviously have a problem why not share with you ten of my favorites with a slight description and what I thought in hopes they will strike your interests!

Just note that not all these documentaries as well as the other ones on Netflix have family friendly subject matters, images, or language. So if you feel unsure about a title research or watch it first yourself before popping the popcorn, getting the kids all comfy on the couch, and starting it up!

Now that the disclaimer is out of the way on to the fun!
    

Monica & David - A documentary about a young couple with Down syndrome starting with their wedding and following them through their first year of marriage.

I loved this documentary! It made me laugh and brought tears to my eyes! It's super sweet and a fun kinda eye opening documentary!


Man On Wire– A look at tightrope walker Philippe Petit’s daring, but illegal, high-wire routine performed between New York City’s World Trade Center’s twin towers in 1974, what some consider, “the artistic crime of the century.”

This one is different and I may really like it because of my love for New York but it's a fun piece about, to some, a little unknown piece of history. This one does have subtitles mixed with English and some nudity so you may want to preview it before you watch it with the little ones. But if you have a little one interested in this they have a child's book about it!


Nightmares in Red, White, and Blue - An exploration of the appeal of horror films, with interviews of many legendary directors in the genre.

This is right up my Halloween loving isle and actually is pretty informative! But completely not for kids since it not only has some pretty creepy scary clips from some of Hollywood's horror gems it also has some nakedness and language from some of those same gems as well! But when October rounds around and the kids are asleep this is a perfect couple Halloween documentary!


Bad Blood: A Cautionary Tale - A frightening time in our nation's history when our blood supply was breached by both AIDS and hepatitis. Through the eyes of survivors and family members, Bad Blood tells how a "miracle" treatment for hemophilia became an agent of death for 10,000 Americans. Faced with evidence that pharmaceutical companies and government regulators knew the product was contaminated with deadly viruses from the 1960s through the early 1990s, the hemophilia community launched a powerful and inspiring fight to right the system that failed them and make it safer for all.

I may like this because I work in the medical field but I loved looking at the AIDS outbreak through the eyes of a different group infected. I'm not saying that one group infected was worse worse than the other because it's not. This documentary was very informative and bittersweet and I really learned a lot from it.


Trekkies - From a TV series that barely lasted three seasons in the 1960s, "Star Trek" has grown into a multibillion-dollar industry involving several spin-off series, numerous movies, and countless merchandise items. This phenomenon is due to the show's legions of rabidly devoted fans, popularly known as "Trekkies." "Star Trek" actress Denise Crosby provides an affectionate and humorous look at some of these people, who demonstrate how "Star Trek" has affected and even shaped their lives. Several members of the show's cast and creative team also describe what the series and its fans mean to them.

Oh yes they have a Star Trek documentary! Actually they have more than one but this one I think is my favorite! This is a family fun documentary that shows you the craziness of the Star Trek fans and how extreme their love can be but all in good fun!


Imaginary Witness – Examines the treatment of the Holocaust in Hollywood films over a period of sixty years and the impact of the films on public perception and thinking, and vice versa.

I'm sure the reason I liked this documentary was because my dad and brother and I watched endless hours of WWII history footages and documentaries on the history channel. But this documentary was really an eye opener on how Hollywood and the American public does and has viewed the Holocaust since WWII and on. This on because of the subject matter and nudity is not for the younger or more sensitive viewers.


The Business of Being Born - Birth: it's a miracle. A rite of passage. A natural part of life. But more than anything, birth is a business. Compelled to find answers after a disappointing birth experience with her first child, actress Ricki Lake recruits filmmaker Abby Epstein to explore the maternity care system in America. Focusing on New York City, the film reveals that there is much to distrust behind hospital doors and follows several couples who decide to give birth on their own terms. There is an unexpected turn when director Epstein not only discovers she is pregnant, but finds the life of her child on the line. Should most births should be viewed as a natural life process, or should every delivery be treated as a potential medical emergency?

I loved this and even working in the medical field this still taught me a lot and opened my eyes some as well as showed, scared, and made me thank the Heavens that they don't do labor and delivery like they did in the old days! This one is not of kids, women who gets easily scared by child birth, people offended by language, and anyone who doesn't want to see a naked Ricki Lake. But other than that I really loved it and highly recommend it!


Confessions of a Super Hero - An in depth look at character actors who make their living playing super heroes on Hollywood boulevard. These people are incredibly fascinating and incredibly sad.


This is a different and fun one and is more of an eye opener about the lesser character actors. It's fun but not recommended for kids!


The American Scream - a 2012 documentary film that highlights three American households extravagant Halloween decorating.

This is another fun Halloween one! It's simple and some may think it's boring but probably my love for Halloween makes me love it! Besides for the scary props and a couple of scary hidden camera scenes from some haunted houses it's a fun family documentary.


Living in Emergency: Stories of Doctors Without Borders – In the war-zones of Liberia and Congo, four volunteers with Doctors Without Borders struggle to provide emergency medical care under extreme conditions.

Again this one I may like because I work in the medical field but it was another eye opening one and tear jerker. Not recommended for the kids or sensitive viewers.

Hopefully you enjoyed my little Netflix review and something in my list sounded interesting enough for you to try out!

Come back tomorrow and so on as I get back on schedule with the post on the fun and crazy events in the Truex households!

No comments: